Recovery Animals Working Group
- To understand inconsistencies in current industry practice regarding the use of recovery animals and explore opportunities to leverage innovative approaches to traditional study designs, enabling/advancing the 3Rs impact.
Mission and Objectives
- Establish WG from 3R TPS LG members to discuss and document challenges and opportunities for continuous refinement in use of recovery animals.
- WG aims to focus its efforts on adequate number of case examples of challenges (and successes) to form the basis of a strong perspective paper, and recommend suggested areas of focus for further refinement in the use of recovery groups.
- Stimulate collaborative discussions within the WG aimed at scrutinizing current practices and providing insights into the scientific basis for refinements in the design of toxicology studies and support the intentional use and inclusion of recovery arms in optimal toxicology study design.
- Harmonize practices across industry by converging cross-functional industry efforts in recovery, NC3Rs, animal welfare and IQ efforts.
- Benchmarking current recovery practices and exceptions via case-study discussions and documentation
- Collate and compare between NC3R and cross-industry efforts and propose recommendations and best practices based on working group expert knowledge
- Develop workshops and platform presentations for ACT 2022 (Dec 2021 deadline for ACT) or SOT proposal for 2023 (April 2022 deadline?)
- Draft a position paper for submission to a peer-reviewed journal (2Q 2022)
Updated September 2021